WATERFORD – Anybody that questioned the dedication of Al Stone III in making the move to the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series SK Modified division at the Waterford Speedbowl this year needed only to look to the pits at the track Saturday to realize Stone means business.
After recording eight victories in his Street Stock car last year and becoming the division’s all-time winningest driver with 31 wins since 2005, Stone decided to make the jump to the track’s premier SK Modified division.
But a winter of dedicated preparation made for a short lived debut for Stone in the division when he crashed early in the 62-lap SK Modified feature at the season opening Budweiser Blastoff on April 1.“I was at [the shop] five times a week until 11 o’clock or 12 o’clock at night and had an hour ride home every time all winter and then you ball it up 15 laps into the first race,” said Stone, who won Street Stock championships at Waterford in 2008 and 2010. “That’s terrible. And that thing was beautiful. I spent all winter on that.”
But a destroyed racecar wasn’t enough to chase Stone from the division. The New Haven driver went out this week and bought a new SK Modified from Ted Christopher and was back at the Speedbowl for this week’s Saturday night opener.
“We’re not giving up yet,” Stone said. “I’m not giving up on anything yet. We bought this car and put all our stuff in it and we’re ready to get back out there.”
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Moving Out At The Hartford Courant But Sticking Around In Racing
- Rowan Pennink Scores Valenti Modified Racing Series Victory Sunday At Thompson
- Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Back To The Front For Keith Rocco In SK Modified Saturday At The Waterford Speedbowl
- Ken Cassidy Jr. Keeps Rolling In Waterford Mini Stocks; Seventh Win In Eight Races
- staffordkid on Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Kayman on Rowan Pennink Scores Valenti Modified Racing Series Victory Sunday At Thompson
- Anthony on Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Jerry on Woody Pitkat Declared SK Mod Winner At Stafford After Final Lap Ryan Preece-Keith Rocco Fireworks
- karter on Woody Pitkat Declared SK Mod Winner At Stafford After Final Lap Ryan Preece-Keith Rocco Fireworks
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --