WATERFORD – Dillon Moltz earned the moniker first time Late Model division winner at the Waterford Speedbowl Saturday night.
When the dust settled on some heavy battles out front it was Moltz, of Waterford, crossing the finish line first in the 30-lap Late Model feature for his first career victory in the division.
Keith Rocco of Wallingford was second and Bruce Thomas Jr. of Groton third.
Moltz was running third behind leader Jeff Smith and second place Jason Palmer for a restart with two laps remaining in the event.
Coming through turns three and four before taking the white flag, Smith and Palmer made contact, opening a lane for Moltz to make his move coming out of turn four. Three three drivers went down the frontstretch three wide, with Moltz holding the slight advantage in turn one. In turn two Smith, in the middle, went spinning.
Smith’s spin brought out the caution and just after the yellow flew, Moltz and Palmer spun together in turn four.
“Those guys were going pretty hard at it,” Moltz said. “I told my spotter on the last restart ‘Those guys are going to do something, we should be there.’ They were door slamming each other all the way through [turns three and four] and they were sideways and I thought they were going to wreck so I was going low to miss it and next thing I know I had the position on everyone going into [turn] one.”
Palmer ended up with a flat tire in the incident, losing second place. Moltz was given his spot back at the front of the field and easily held off Rocco on the final restart.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Moving Out At The Hartford Courant But Sticking Around In Racing
- Rowan Pennink Scores Valenti Modified Racing Series Victory Sunday At Thompson
- Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Back To The Front For Keith Rocco In SK Modified Saturday At The Waterford Speedbowl
- Ken Cassidy Jr. Keeps Rolling In Waterford Mini Stocks; Seventh Win In Eight Races
- staffordkid on Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Kayman on Rowan Pennink Scores Valenti Modified Racing Series Victory Sunday At Thompson
- Anthony on Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Jerry on Woody Pitkat Declared SK Mod Winner At Stafford After Final Lap Ryan Preece-Keith Rocco Fireworks
- karter on Woody Pitkat Declared SK Mod Winner At Stafford After Final Lap Ryan Preece-Keith Rocco Fireworks
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --