It’s a relationship in the past led to a pair of NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour championships for Mystic car owner Bob Garbarino.
Two-time Whelen Modified Tour champion Donny Lia will return to the series in 2012 to drive once again for Garbarino.
“It works for me and it works for him,” Garbarino said. “So we’re going to do it again.”
With Lia behind the wheel in 2007, Garbarino won his first Whelen Modified Tour championship. The pair split after that season, with Lia heading to the Camping World Truck Series. Lia returned to the series in 2009 with Garbarino and the reunion led to a second Whelen Modified Tour title together and the pair again went their separate ways once again.
Bobby Santos III of Franklin, Mass. got in Garbarino’s car in 2010 and gave him another series title. Santos finished eighth in the Whelen Modified Tour standings last season for Garbarino.
“Times change, things happen and you do what you have to do,” Garbarino said.
Lia has 15 career Whelen Modified Tour victories in 113 starts dating back to the 2001 season. Ten of those 15 victories came driving for Garbarino in 2007 and 2009.
Lia made three starts on the Whelen Modified Tour in 2011, which included a third place finish in the CarQuest Fall Final at Stafford Motor Speedway.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Moving Out At The Hartford Courant But Sticking Around In Racing
- Rowan Pennink Scores Valenti Modified Racing Series Victory Sunday At Thompson
- Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Back To The Front For Keith Rocco In SK Modified Saturday At The Waterford Speedbowl
- Ken Cassidy Jr. Keeps Rolling In Waterford Mini Stocks; Seventh Win In Eight Races
- staffordkid on Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Kayman on Rowan Pennink Scores Valenti Modified Racing Series Victory Sunday At Thompson
- Anthony on Pained Win: Ryan Preece Left Frustrated Despite SK Modified Victory At Thompson Sunday
- Jerry on Woody Pitkat Declared SK Mod Winner At Stafford After Final Lap Ryan Preece-Keith Rocco Fireworks
- karter on Woody Pitkat Declared SK Mod Winner At Stafford After Final Lap Ryan Preece-Keith Rocco Fireworks
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --