Greenwich Republican Tom Foley released his first TV commercial in the 2014 race for governor – marking the first statewide ad for the candidates for governor, lieutenant governor or any other statewide office.
The ad shows Foley with his children and describes him as a “regular guy” and a “great dad.” The opening “get-to-know-the-candidate” ad does not mention any of Foley’s opponents or provide details on any complex policy positions.
Foley, who ran unsuccessfully against Gov. Dannel P. Malloy in the 2010 election, last week qualified for $1.35 million in public financing for an August primary against Senate minority leader John McKinney of Fairfield. McKinney has not yet qualified for public financing, but he needs approval for only $4,600 in additional contributions. Continue reading →
Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley spoke at the AFL-CIO political convention in New Haven Monday. Afterward he spoke with reporters and shared his thoughts on a number of topics including the Common Core standards. See the video from Daniela Altimari below.
In November of 2014, Connecticut voters will consider amending the state Constitution to eliminate restrictions on early voting and allow greater access to absentee ballots.
The referendum is the result of a joint resolution approved by the state Senate just after 11 p.m. on Wednesday. The 22-14 vote was the last legislative step in the two-year, bicameral process required when the state Constitution is amended. Continue reading →
The Orange Bowl Committee gave $80,120 to the UConn Sandy Hook Scholarship Fund Monday night, $1 for every fan that attended the BCS National Championship.
Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco and Orange Bowl President O. Ford Gibson presented the gift to UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel, who accepted it on behalf of the University.
The scholarship fund, which was set up to provide financial aid for Sandy Hook students as well as siblings and dependents of the victims, has received donations from more than 4,000 people since it was established shortly after the tragedy. With this surprise donation, the fund has raised about $800,000.
Sources say that Gov. Malloy\’s latest nomination to the Supreme Court, which he will announce Monday at 2 p.m., will be Appellate Court Judge Carmen Espinosa. While Malloy\’s most recent nomination, former state senator Andrew McDonald, has not served as a judge before, Espinosa was first appointed to the bench in 1992. She was sworn into the Appellate Court in 2011 after having served as a Superior Court Judge for nearly two decades.
Malloy makes history with this pair of nominations. If approved by the legislature, Espinosa will become the first Hispanic to serve on Connecticut\’s highest court. McDonald, who was nominated less than two weeks ago, would be the first openly gay justice.
The vacancies are left by retiring judges Ian McLachlan and Lubbie Harper Jr., both 70, who have reached the mandatory retirement age for Connecticut judges. Espinosa replaced Harper Jr. on the Appellate Court after Malloy nominated him in 2011.
Gov. Malloy will announce a nomination to the state Supreme Court Monday, less than two weeks after he nominated chief legal counsel and former state senator Andrew McDonald to fill a different vacancy.
The candidate announced today will fill the vacancy created by 70-year-old C. Ian McLachlan, who has reached the mandatory retirement age for justices in Connecticut.
McDonald was nominated at the end of December to replace another retiring justice, Lubbie Harper Jr. If confirmed, he would become the first openly gay justice to serve on Connecticut\’s Supreme Court. The former co-chair of the judiciary committee left the state senate in 2011 to serve on Malloy\’s staff.
Departing Malloy aide Roy Occhiogrosso will be returning to Global Strategy Group, the firm said Monday.
Occhiogrosso, who says he made the decision in the last few weeks, was a partner at the political consulting company from 2003 to 2010, when he helped run Malloy\’s campaign.
\”I worked there for seven years, it\’s like a family to me,\” said Occhiogrosso, who announced in December that he\’d be departing at the end of the year but did not give a reason for doing so other than to say that he initially planned to stay only a year. \”I considered similar roles in a couple different places and also thought about doing something on my own, but this made a lot of sense for a lot of reasons,\” he said.
As a single father of two young boys, anywhere besides Connecticut was off the table for Occhiogrosso. Asked if he\’s planning on running Malloy\’s 2014 gubernatorial campaign, Occhiogrosso said nothing had been discussed yet. \”I don’t know the answer to that,\” he said. \”I assume that when the time is open we’ll have a conversation, but the governor\’s got a lot on his plate right now, dealing with the aftermath of Newtown and trying to put together a budget.\”
Read more on Occhiogrosso and his decision to leave here.
Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has scheduled a visit to Newtown on Friday, according to a statement from Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman\’s office. Giffords, who was injured during a mass shooting in Tucson in 2011, resigned from the House last January.
Her husband, retired astronaut Mark Kelly, is also slated to be there. Kelly has called on Congress to take action on gun violence in the wake of the Newtown tragedy and others like it.
After receiving criticism for his decision to pull a Hurricane Sandy relief package from the floor Tuesday, House Speaker John Boehner has announced two Sandy aid measures he will bring to a vote when the new Congress convenes. Combined, these measures total the $60.4 billion in the original bill, which passed the Senate with bipartisan support but dies there because the House did not vote on it.
\”Getting critical aid to the victims of Hurricane Sandy should be the first priority in the new Congress,\” Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said in a joint statement released Wednesday.
The first vote, on $9 billion in increased funding for the National Flood Insurance Program, is scheduled for Friday. On January 15th House members will vote on the remaining $51 billion included in the initial measure.