Sandy Hook Parents Launching National Lobby Group Monday

by Categorized: Newtown Date:

A group of Sandy Hook parents announced formation Friday of a national group that will \”honor the lives lost by unveiling a grassroots initiative committed to preventing similar tragedies from ever taking place again.\”

Sandy Hook Promise — formerly known as Newtown United — will \”encourage and support common sense solutions that make their communities and our country safer from acts of violence like that which occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012.\”

The group will include members of families who lost children in the school attack. The group is holding a press conference Monday morning in Newtown.

From the group:

Members of SHP\’s Executive Committee will join with participating victims\’ families, survivors, first responders and other community members to launch Sandy Hook Promise.

Among those scheduled to speak at event are:

Lee Shull, co-founder of Sandy Hook Promise and father of two former Sandy Hook Elementary students; Tom Bittman, co-founder of Sandy Hook Promise and father of three former Sandy Hook Elementary students; Tim Makris, co-founder of Sandy Hook Promise and father of one current and one former Sandy Hook Elementary student; Rob Cox, co-founder of Sandy Hook Promise and Newtown native, graduate of Newtown schools and father of two.

The Courant is using Facebook comments on stories. To comment on courant.com articles, sign into Facebook and enter your comment in the field below. Comments will appear in your Facebook News Feed unless you choose otherwise. To report spam or abuse, click the X next to the comment. For guidelines on commenting, click here.

One thought on “Sandy Hook Parents Launching National Lobby Group Monday

  1. RJ McLain

    Two weeks before the Sandy Hook tragedy, I was almost shot by a drunken neighbor walking my dog before bedtime on the blvd as I do every night. He ran out with a .45 strapped to his thigh, pulled it and pointed into the neighbor’s window, I yelled at him, he turned and pointed the gun at my chest. The NRA should publicly apologize to all of you for making rights for 1% of the population so important that it jeapardizes the lives of the other 99%. I have written them today. Matt 18:10 says that the angels of children always have their faces on the Father; I know they wept that day. Jesus wept, and so did I and everyone I know that turned on the television that day. It’s time to draw a line in the sand — and take the assault weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill and emotionally challenged. Every one of you who suffered loss are in the prayers of many, the whole situation was such a shock and loss to our nation. The sale of assault weapons must stop.
    God bless all of you and bring healing.

Comments are closed.