Hartford.gov has been hacked. Officials took the site offline this morning as they review and correct the issues.
Acting Chief Information Officer Stephen Shipman told Cityline this afternoon that city employees noticed the site had been hacked this morning. Several visitors came upon a screen that looked like this (reader-submitted photo):
Shipman said employees first noticed last Wednesday that some content on hhs.hartford.gov had been compromised. Visitors were being referred to a third-party website in Iran, he said. Then the additional hacking occurred today.
Shipman and officials in the mayor’s office stressed that no confidential information was compromised. They expect the site to be back up and running by the end of the day.
“We’re about half-way through the process of ensuring it is cleaned up,” Shipman said around 2:30 pm. “We have run commercial security tools on it and found and corrected two problems, and we’re now reviewing the best practices for configuring a server running Joomla (an open source content management system) in the best way.”
Added Maribel La Luz, Mayor Pedro Segarra’s spokeswoman: “We are continuing to strengthen our website security. In IT this is referred to [as] ‘hardening a website.’ Unfortunately these things happen, just like AP’s Twitter feed that was just hacked.”