Need a team to root for this week? The city’s own Hartford Hurricanes, a pee wee football squad of 11- and 12-year-olds, is facing the Beacon House Falcons from Washington, D.C., on Wednesday in the semifinals of the national Pop Warner championship in Orlando, Fla.
If the ‘Canes win the 10:30 a.m. Division I matchup, the team will play in the Pop Warner Super Bowl on Saturday.
The football games are played at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at the Walt Disney World Resort. As noted in my weekend story, this trip to Florida is the first time that many of the players have ever left New England.
Can this championship be Hartford’s own Cinderella story? After a rough start to the program four years ago, the ‘Canes compiled a 13-0 record as a team in the Southern Connecticut Pop Warner league this fall. They have been practicing at Keney Park in the North End.
One of the coaches, state Rep. Douglas McCrory, D-Hartford, told the Courant’s Julie Stagis after Sunday’s 25-24 quarterfinal victory — a triple-overtime thriller over Holy Cross of Texas — that “our young men played very hard.” A few boys were injured during the game, including one who needed 16 stitches, McCrory said.
UPDATE: The Hurricanes lost Wednesday in the semifinals to a tough D.C. squad that was no stranger to nationals. Congrats to the team for a great season.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Celine Konopski on New ‘S.W.A.G.’ Center At Bulkeley High School
- El Hermano D Apocalyse Rivera Ernesto Soto on Council Members Say They Don’t Want To Raid The Rainy Day Fund
- Apocalyse Rivera Ernesto Soto on Segarra Warns Council Before Budget Cuts
- Budget Cuts: The Registrars’ Office | Cityline on Council Members Looking To Cut Registrar Of Voters’ Office, Require Some Registrars To Go Part-Time
- Cuts To Police: What’s At Stake | Cityline on Council Members Say They Don’t Want To Raid The Rainy Day Fund
- Christina Kishimoto
- City Council
- Faith-Based Community
- Hartford Public Library
- Hartford website
- Health Care
- Internal Audit Commission
- James Rovella
- Jared Kupiec
- Pedro Segarra
- Purchasing Cards
- registrar of voters
- Sad City Hartford
- School Construction Projects
- Shawn Wooden
- State Reimbursements