The Travelers Cos. had its best operating income per share since the company’s initial public offering in 2002, driven by higher prices and lower expenses from tornadoes and other catastrophes.
West Hartford’s Hall High School had the best performance of any in Connecticut among teens who made videos to promote safe driving — producing three of the top 10 YouTube clips, judged by insurance executives and state Department of Motor Vehicles professionals.
Daniel Hand High School in Madison had two entries in the top 10. [...]
Four auto insurers have agreed to settle allegations that they failed to refund at-fault surcharges to Massachusetts customers, resulting in higher premiums — after a customer has been in a crash, for example — when a state appeals process sided with the customer, Attorney General Martha Coakley’s office said Thursday.
The Travelers Cos. Chairman and CEO Jay S. Fishman was compensated a total of $29.9 million last year, a 37 percent increase over the year before, according to documents filed Thursday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
In 2011, Fishman’s pay package totaled $21.9 million, not including stock-and-option awards which have a future [...]
The Travelers Cos. EDGE program, which I wrote about in February 2012, was recently the subject of an in-depth report by the Pell Institute for the Study of Opportunity in Higher Education. The report was released Monday.
“This program fosters collaboration between the private sector and our nation’s education system and sets a high [...]
Hurricane Sandy is expected to cost The Hartford $370 million in total claims, before tax, the property-casualty insurer said Tuesday.
The Hartford Financial Services Group has reinsurance to cover part of that, and expects the company’s losses from the storm will be $350 million before tax, net of reinsurance.
The Travelers Cos. exercised an option to increase its ownership stake in a Brazil company that it invested in two years ago from 43.4 percent to 49.5 percent.
Travelers said in November 2010 it planned to spend $370 million for a 43 percent stake in J. Malucelli Participações em Seguros e Resseguros S.A., the market [...]
Hurricane Sandy is estimated to cost The Travelers Cos. $650 million after the company accounts for tax and reinsurance.
Reinsurance is insurance for insurers, covering insured costs if the dollar amount reaches a certain level.
The Travelers Cos. reported soaring profits for the third-quarter Thursday as the company benefited from its ability to retain customers while raising prices, and it was spared by a relatively calm hurricane season.
Net income for the three-month period ending Sept. 30 was $864 million, or $2.21 per diluted share, compared with $333 million, or [...]
One of Connecticut’s largest private employers continues to be a lightning rod in a high-profile U.S. Senate race that many in the nation are watching — the one in Massachusetts.
Television advertisements for both candidates, incumbent Republican Scott Brown and Democrat contender Elizabeth Warren, have focused on Warren’s work a few years ago for The [...]
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Bloomberg: Insurers Defend $329 Billion Muni Exception Amid Debate
- Aetna Shareholders Vote Down Measures To Change Board Leadership, Further Disclose Political Spending
- Bloomberg: Hartford Financial Said To Seek Sale Of Japanese Annuity Unit
- The Hartford’s Shareholders Approve Of Board, Executives’ Compensation During Annual Meeting
- Liability Claims From Dog Bites Are Increasingly Costly For Insurers
- sue on Bloomberg: Hartford Financial Said To Seek Sale Of Japanese Annuity Unit
- H. Davison on Liability Claims From Dog Bites Are Increasingly Costly For Insurers
- DR on Liability Claims From Dog Bites Are Increasingly Costly For Insurers
- Steven K on Liability Claims From Dog Bites Are Increasingly Costly For Insurers
- p hofperson on Liability Claims From Dog Bites Are Increasingly Costly For Insurers
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --