Pfizer Workers To Get Federal Benefits Because Their Jobs Were Moved Overseas

by Categorized: Uncategorized Date:

This week, another 390 people who used to work at Pfizer offices in Groton learned they can qualify for extended unemployment benefits and college tuition or other training programs because the federal government has verified that their jobs were moved overseas. The Trade Adjustment Assistance program will also pay for some relocation expenses if job seekers take a new job that’s too far to commute to.

If workers are older than 50, and the next job they take pays substantially less than the Pfizer position, the federal government will pay a temporary wage subsidy.

This set of workers were contractors at Pfizer through ExecuPharm, and were primarily business analysts and managers.

This is the latest in a series of determinations from the U.S. Department of Labor that cover Pfizer workers who were laid off beginning in July 2010. The first group covered 568 workers, who worked in research chemistry and material management.

The next group of 183 workers were laid off beginning in February 2011, including researchers and those who coordinated global supplies.

About 68 workers who were laid off beginning in July 2011 and continuing through April 2012, who were contractors from Charles River Laboratories, were the third wave of those granted benefits. They took care of animals used in the comparative drugs research.

In all, more than 1,100 employees and contractors had the work that they did move to either China or the United Kingdom, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

According to one of the many petitions in the series, a worker said: “The outsourcing efforts to international vendors in the chemistry departments… have increased exponentially in the past six years, and it was incorporated as part of the goals in some years. It started with simple tasks and ended up with outsourcing of major job efforts. The Antibacterial unit was the most obvious as the center as a whole was announced to be moving to China.”

And the department is still considering more petitions. One decision is expected this month, according to the Trade Adjustment Assistance information out of Washington.

All the services are available through the nearest CTWorks Career Center.


Are you one of these workers? Speak up in the comments or call me at 241-3650.

The Courant is using Facebook comments on stories. To comment on articles, sign into Facebook and enter your comment in the field below. Comments will appear in your Facebook News Feed unless you choose otherwise. To report spam or abuse, click the X next to the comment. For guidelines on commenting, click here.