With the future of the American Hockey League in Hartford uncertain, the Capital Region Development Authority says it is keenly aware it must act swiftly to select a management company for Hartford’s XL Center.
The XL Center’s contract with the Connecticut Whale, the AHL franchise of the New York Rangers, expires this year and negotiations on a future contract can’t begin until the new manager is in place.
“We know that we are at a critical time to get the deal done,” Michael W. Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, told me today. “We hope to make a decision within a week.”
Initially, the CRDA staff had aimed to bring a recommendation to its board this week. But a meeting with board members Wednesday night left too many questions unanswered, and negotiations continue with the bidders.
The key issues in the negotiations remain: the future of the AHL in Hartford, capital improvements to the XL Center, and boosting event attendance.
Read my story about the challenges of an aging XL Center here.
The bidders are AEG Management CT LLC, Capital Region Sports and Entertainment Group, and Global Spectrum.
Freimuth said the bidders are in contact not only with The Madison Square Garden Co., which owns the Rangers and The Whale, but other potential AHL teams that might want to sign a contract with the venue.
Read more about MSG’s thoughts on Hartford in this story by my colleague Paul Doyle.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Hepburn Estate Owner Has Another Unusual Connecticut Property For Sale
- New, Smaller Plan For Former Broadcast House Site In Hartford
- House Sales In Connecticut Slip Again In April
- Auction House For Heavy Construction Equipment To Move From Stafford
- Green3nergy on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- mike on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Joanie W. on New, Smaller Plan For Former Broadcast House Site In Hartford
- alan on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- pete on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Commercial Construction
- Commercial Transactions
- Downtown Hartford
- Foreclosure Sales
- Hartford Redevelopment
- Katharine Hepburn House
- Mortgage Fraud Settlement
- northland investment corp.
- On the Market: Commercial Properties For Sale
- Residential Real Estate Reports
- Stores and Restaurants
- Trading Spaces
- State Eyeing Former Hartford Office Supply Co. Building In Hartford? June 19, 2013
- New, Smaller Plan For Downtown Hartford Apartment Project June 17, 2013
- Landmark Essex Windmill Up For Sale June 17, 2013
- Connecticut House Sales Slip Again In April June 17, 2013
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --