The historic Mary Borden Munsill House on Hartford’s South Green is on the market, after suffering through a foreclosure.
In the past few weeks, the 1893, brick-and-brownstone house endured another indignity: thieves broke in a stole a brass fireplace with marble mantelpiece, distinctive for a relief depicting a chariot race.
Rick Chozick, of Chozick Realty in Hartford, which has the listing, said the thieves clearly knew what they were doing: the fireplace was carefully removed from the house’s entrance hall.
Despite the burglary, Chozick said the house retains much of its charm, its original wood doors and etched hinges.
“It’s one of a kind, beautiful,” Chozick said. “It’s not something you can duplicate.”
Read more about the history of the house in my blog post from a year ago.
The 7,700-square-foot house, at 2 Wethersfield Ave., is offered at $290,000 by Berkshire Hills Bank which repossessed the property last year. The price reflects the reality that the house needs renovations, Chozick said.
Chozick said the house could be used for offices or be converted back to residential. So far, Chozick said there have been a handful of preliminary inquiries on potential residential use, but nothing serious. The property went on the market about a month ago.
One catch about using the house as a home: the kitchen was removed when the structure was converted to offices.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Patrick on New, Smaller Plan For Former Broadcast House Site In Hartford
- Unhealthy Jim on Auction House For Heavy Construction Equipment To Move From Stafford
- Timothy Classen on Rocker Kicks Off New Home Improvement Show In CT
- advising Americans against travel to the Cusco and Machu Picchu area of Peru. ete on Auction House For Heavy Construction Equipment To Move From Stafford
- Home Improvement | Home and Garden | Lighting | Decoration on Rocker Kicks Off New Home Improvement Show In CT
- Commercial Construction
- Commercial Transactions
- Downtown Hartford
- Foreclosure Sales
- Hartford Redevelopment
- Katharine Hepburn House
- Mortgage Fraud Settlement
- northland investment corp.
- On the Market: Commercial Properties For Sale
- Residential Real Estate Reports
- Stores and Restaurants
- Trading Spaces
- New, Smaller Plan For Downtown Hartford Apartment Project June 17, 2013
- Landmark Essex Windmill Up For Sale June 17, 2013
- Connecticut House Sales Slip Again In April June 17, 2013
- Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi Buy Montecito Mansion June 15, 2013
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --