Northland Investment Corp. has suffered another blow as Greater Hartford’s largest landlord, losing a second property in downtown Hartford to foreclosure in late July, according to city records.
According to the filing, Northland lost control of the property July 25, unable to pay off a $33 million note on Goodwin Square on Asylum Street. Court documents stated that Northland owed $39 million in principal and penalty fees.
In January, 2011, Northland lost downtown Hartford’s Metro Center to foreclosure. It is appealing a judgment of strict foreclosure on its CityPlace II, another downtown Hartford office tower.
Northland couldn’t immediately be reached for comment today.
The property fell into foreclosure two years ago and a contentious court battle has ensued between Northland and LNR, which is also pursuing a foreclosure on Northland’s CityPlace II. Northland accused LNR in court of holding one property hostage against the other, making it difficult to refinance.
Typically, after a judgment of strict foreclosure, a property owner is given a deadline for satisfying a debt, or in the case of Goodwin Square, securing new financing to replace the mortgage that matured in October, 2010.
Goodwin Square, which Northland purchased for $41 million in 2005, includes the now-closed Goodwin Hotel and a 30-story office Asylum Street tower. Court documents now peg the fair market value at $21.8 million.
The hotel was shuttered in 2008.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Hepburn Estate Owner Has Another Unusual Connecticut Property For Sale
- New, Smaller Plan For Former Broadcast House Site In Hartford
- House Sales In Connecticut Slip Again In April
- Auction House For Heavy Construction Equipment To Move From Stafford
- Patrick on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Green3nergy on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- mike on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Joanie W. on New, Smaller Plan For Former Broadcast House Site In Hartford
- alan on State Interested In Buying Former Hartford Office Supply Building?
- Commercial Construction
- Commercial Transactions
- Downtown Hartford
- Foreclosure Sales
- Hartford Redevelopment
- Katharine Hepburn House
- Mortgage Fraud Settlement
- northland investment corp.
- On the Market: Commercial Properties For Sale
- Residential Real Estate Reports
- Stores and Restaurants
- Trading Spaces
- State Eyeing Former Hartford Office Supply Co. Building In Hartford? June 19, 2013
- New, Smaller Plan For Downtown Hartford Apartment Project June 17, 2013
- Landmark Essex Windmill Up For Sale June 17, 2013
- Connecticut House Sales Slip Again In April June 17, 2013
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --