The message was clear Thursday as Connecticut’s five representatives in the U.S. House gathered in Hartford to talk about economic matters.
We need to invest. We need to spend.
Whether it’s high-speed rail, advanced airline navigation systems, basic research, Head Start programs for kids, maintaining military bases, Obamacare or the Connecticut River dikes, the [...]
The AFL-CIO launched its annual database of CEO pay Monday, showing the average 2012 pay of CEOs at companies on the Standard & Poor’s 500 index was $12.3?million, or 354 times more than the average American worker earned.
The average of those S&P 500 CEOs — the 327 companies that have filed for 2012 [...]
The U.S. labor markets turned in one of the best monthly performances of the last 12 months in February, adding 236,000 jobs and paring the unemployment rate to 7.7 percent in a report Friday that heightens concerns about the divide between a sluggish state recovery and rising momentum across the nation.
The national gains, [...]
The 2-year federal government meltdown is finally at Code Red and the sequester is here.
We have endless stories about the gridlock, the economic effects and the blame game.
But here, in one place, I plan to collect basic information in a usable form without bias: When and where the sequester cuts are happening.
Ever since Obama said he wouldn’t negotiate over the debt ceiling, talk of the trillion-dollar coin has heated up. On Wednesday, White House spokesman Jay Carney declined to dismiss the ploy as an option, furthering the economic joke that isn’t a joke.
What is the trillion-dollar coin? It’s a technicality that could save Obama [...]
Among the people most immediately affected by the fiscal cliff cliffhanger are those who have been out of work for more than 26 weeks, and stand to lose unemployment benefits after this week — maybe.
They should keep applying online for their checks, the state Department of Labor said, this week and into the new [...]
How’s Connecticut faring in the world? For income, just fine, thank you.
Growth is a different story. The Brookings Institution issued a report Friday ranking the world’s largest 300 metro areas in growth in 2012, based on output per-person and jobs. Even among lagging U.S. metros, Bridgeport-Stamford and Hartford ranked low, Nos. 255 and [...]
Way back in the primordial era when recycling was a new thing, critics said it would cost thousands of jobs of people who make glass, plastic and aluminum.
With recycling as a way of life and an industry, a new report from the Connecticut Economic Resource Center says it’s responsible for 4,790 jobs and [...]
Workers at fast-food outlets in New York walked off the job Thursday, another action by low-wage workers of the sort we should expect to see happening more.
Organizers hope to see the protest lead to unionization and wages of $15 an hour, but as Steven Greenhouse explains in the New York Times, it’s [...]
Ben Barnes, the state budget czar, brought a pile of ugly numbers to a packed room full of lawmakers Tuesday with a broad message and a statement — “not a pledge” — that Malloy won’t seek more tax hikes.
The state not only faces budget shortfalls of $363 million this year and $1.1 billion in [...]
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Talking about suburban poverty and the college job market on #Fox CT with @LoganByrnes.
- #CongresswomanEsty: You have more GPS power in your cell phone than most airliners have.
- #CongresswomanEsty: Underinvestment in this country in infrastructure has had more impact in New England than any other region.'
- ESPN Layoffs Exceed 100, Sources Say; Company Vows Continued Growth
- For Nappier And Other Activists, Only A Moral Victory in Dimon Vote at JPMorgan Chase
- Report: Suburban Poverty Rises Sharply But CT Regions More Stable
- Homespun Advice from a Business Legend
- Westfarms’ JC Penney Closed Thursday Due to Water Damage, Will Reopen Friday
- Connecticut is Circling the Drain on ESPN Layoffs Exceed 100, Sources Say; Company Vows Continued Growth
- Connecticut is Circling the Drain on For Nappier And Other Activists, Only A Moral Victory in Dimon Vote at JPMorgan Chase
- Jack on ESPN Layoffs Exceed 100, Sources Say; Company Vows Continued Growth
- America Is Dying on ESPN Layoffs Exceed 100, Sources Say; Company Vows Continued Growth
- Joe on ESPN Layoffs Exceed 100, Sources Say; Company Vows Continued Growth
- Corporate finance
- Economic Development
- Financial Services
- Health Care
- Public finance
- Real Estate
- Small Business
- Wall Street
- Avon Factory Adding Workers
- American Athletic Source Says Mohegan Sun Recommended As Site For Women's Tournament
- For Nappier And Other Activists, Only A Moral Victory in Dimon Vote At JPMorgan Chase
- Greenwich Estate Has Highest Asking Price In The Country
- ESPN Laying Off Employees; Reports Say At Least 100 In Bristol
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --