A Massachusetts grand jury indicted former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez today on one count of murder and five weapons charges. He appeared for a probable cause hearing two months after he was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the June 17 shooting death of Odin Lloyd. Hernandez, a Bristol, Connecticut native, has been held without bail since his June 26 arrest. Two of his hometown associates, Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, also face charges in connection with the case.
- (L to R) Binh and Sithuy Nguyen go for their daily walk along the Connecticut River Thursday afternoon as ice flows past. The recent cold temperatures have started to freeze the slow moving river, the photo was taken from the Charter Oak Overpass. Photo by JOHN WOIKE | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connecticut Huskies guard/forward Napheesa Collier (24) is stretches to the limit for a pass as UCF Knights forward Nyala Shuler (12) puts an arm into her back during the second half at the XL Center in Hartford Wednesday night in Hartford. Collier scored 14 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in a 101-51 victory. Photo by JOHN WOIKE | email@example.com
- Renata Wawszkiewicz, of Bristol, shows her daughter, Olivia, 2, a shell she found on the beach while holding Olivia's little sister, Kamila, 7 months, at Hammonasset Beach State Park Wednesday. The Wawszkiewiczes stopped at the beach to get some fresh air after going to a doctors appointment nearby. "I've been coming here since I was a kid and we camp here every summer," said Wawszkiewicz. "I just love the beach." CLOE POISSONfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Waterbury town employee Scott Monaghan uses a backpack leaf blower to clear snow from this weekends storm off the Wigwam Dam in Thomaston Monday morning. The Litchfield Hills were spared the brunt of this Winter storm as the path mostly affected to shoreline with flooding and high snow fall totals. Photo by JOHN WOIKE | email@example.com
- Some awesome art off the wire from the East Coast blizzard Saturday. Here are 5 of my Faves: