The Connecticut rock family is mourning the loss of Steve Kaika, bassist for New London working class warriors The Reducers.
Kaika was diagnosed with cancer in late 2011. The band has been on indefinite hiatus while he battled the disease. Kaika died only three days before a benefit show was slated to help his family with rising medical costs.
That benefit is still a go, as Kaika’s family could still use the support.
Fans and friends took to the band’s Facebook page to express their condolences and share memories of the band’s music.
Via email, guitarist Peter Detmold said his fellow band members have been overwhelmed by the emotional response to their loss.
“I’ve got a lifetimes worth of memories about the guy, and from all the incoming on-line stuff, so do a lot of other people.
“We’ve been friends since we were in our teens and we’ve had amazing adventures both in & out of the Reducers,” Detmold said of his longtime friend. “We had brilliant days together and I’m sorry there won’t be more, but we certainly had our share of fun! He was a bad-ass bassist and a truly great guy! Connecticut will be a quieter place now………………………”
Friday’s benefit will still go on as a celebration of Kaika’s life, Detmold said. His wife Charlene still has to cope with a mountain of medical bills from Steve’s sickness.
It takes place in Hygienic Park, New London at 6 p.m. Friday. Music goes from 7-11 p.m. A $10 donation is suggested, though more would undoubtedly be welcome. All donations at the door will go directly to Steve’s family.
Performers include The Rivergods, Dogbite, Ken Atkins and The Honky Tonk Kind, and The Original Sinners. To donate and to get more information about the show, go to thereducers.com.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
- Newtown's Flagpole Radio Cafe Show Is Back May 17, 2013
- Brad Paisley At Comcast May 16, 2013
- Matt Wertz In Fairfield, Norfolk May 16, 2013
- A Double Dose Of California Guitar Trio May 16, 2013
- Take Two Honors Peggy Lee, Cole Porter At Trinity-On-Main May 16, 2013
- Motley Crue At Mohegan May 13, 2013
- Portraits Of Prominent Jazz Musicians At Japanalia May 13, 2013
- Selena Gomez A Hit With Young Crowd At Mohegan Sun August 18, 2011
- Gathering Of The Vibes: A Fun, Strange Weekend Trip July 25, 2011
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
Add Widgets (Secondary Sidebar)
This is your Secondary Sidebar. Edit this content that appears here in the widgets panel by adding or removing widgets in the Secondary Sidebar area.