It’s a special week for Souleymane Wane, who played for UConn from 1997 to 2001. Wane, who teaches French and world culture at Haverhill High in Massachusetts and is a part-time assistant at UMass-Lowell, will get the chance to coach against his alma mater on Sunday at the XL Center.
“It is very special,” Wane said. “I never dreamed I’d get the chance to come back to UConn and to coach against my former school.”
But more than that – Wane, 36, will be sworn in as a U.S. citizen on Friday on ceremonies in Lowell, Mass. Wane is an amazing man. He barely spoke English when he first came to the U.S. from Senegal, and UConn he was academically ineligible for his first semester because of the language barrier. Kevin Freeman fondly remembers Wane learning the language from a rap CD.
“We would give him a hard time,” Freeman said, “but the more he learned, he started giving it right back to us. He was quiet, but he was driven. And he is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.”
Wane went on to graduate on time and has now mastered five languages. After his day at the high school is done, he rushes over to UMass-Lowell to coach for a very small stipend. He has fallen in love with coaching and hopes to make a career of it.
“We are so blessed to have him,” UMass-Lowell coach Greg Herenda says. “He is such a great role model for our kids.”
I’m planning a story on Souleymane Wane for the Sunday Courant, in advance of the Huskies exhibition game vs. UMass-Lowell.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
UConn Men Photos
Text AlertsComplimentary Huskies, breaking news, and/or weather alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
*Or text UCONNFB, UCONNMB, UCONNWBNEWS, WEATHER, NEWS to 37798
*These programs are available on the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, US Cellular. By clicking Submit you are confirming agreement with the terms and conditions governing this station and these mobile alerts. All submissions must be authorized by the account holder. Contact your carrier for more details.
- christian louboutin shoes will one day be able to -- ???? -- abraham0225 on Rodney Purvis Gets USA Basketball Invite To Try Out For U19 Team
- they made monster beats sure that there are three different sizes of the rubbers for the ear piece isabella423 on Rodney Purvis Gets USA Basketball Invite To Try Out For U19 Team
- Hector on Jim Calhoun Still Man In Motion: On to Dick Vitale Gala, Then His Ride-and-Walk June 8 … And He Will Ride His Bike Again
- Big East Conference Athletics
- Direct link to ESPN3 coverage, click here.
- ESPN College Basketball
- NBE Basketball Report | Connecticut
- Sox and Dawgs
- The Boneyard
- UConn Huskies Basketball blog
- UConn Huskies Sports on courant.com
- UConn Women's Basketball blog