Question: Hi Dom, What’s [Jim] Calhoun’s status? Has he even hinted as to what he is doing? It appears he is staying, contract in all, but it would be nice to actually hear it. so maybe we can land a decent big man or two. The uncertainty can’t be helping the program. I do [like] the the R.J. Evans signing, we need some solid leadership on the court.
A: David, I last spoke to the coach on April 6 and at that time he gave me every indication he is going to coach next year, though he would not say 100 percent for sure. He clearly doesn’t like the idea of leaving the program in chaos. He and the new AD Warde Manuel have been having continuous discussions about the future of the program and, I was told last week they are going well. Calhoun would like to have a designated successor, to help with recruiting, since it is hard to get players to commit to the uncertainty inherent with a coach his age. However, he understands that Manuel just arrived and appears willing to give the new AD time to get to know Kevin Ollie and the rest of the staff and not force that issue just now. So my best guess is that Calhoun will coach next year, some kind of confirmation of that will come this week, and things will evolve from there.
As for recruiting and landing a “decent big man,” don’t be surprised if UConn, with no tournament eligibility next season, keeps scholarships open rather than tie them up on what could be second-tier players. Save them for next year and really get after it for 2013-14.
… Trying to get to some of these questions this week, folks. Keep in mind, I’m looking for short questions on one topics, not comments or rants. You can leave those yourself on the end of posts. Also, I avoid addressing questions that have already been addressed.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
UConn Men Photos
Text AlertsComplimentary Huskies, breaking news, and/or weather alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
*Or text UCONNFB, UCONNMB, UCONNWBNEWS, WEATHER, NEWS to 37798
*These programs are available on the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, US Cellular. By clicking Submit you are confirming agreement with the terms and conditions governing this station and these mobile alerts. All submissions must be authorized by the account holder. Contact your carrier for more details.
- christian louboutin shoes will one day be able to -- ???? -- abraham0225 on Rodney Purvis Gets USA Basketball Invite To Try Out For U19 Team
- they made monster beats sure that there are three different sizes of the rubbers for the ear piece isabella423 on Rodney Purvis Gets USA Basketball Invite To Try Out For U19 Team
- Hector on Jim Calhoun Still Man In Motion: On to Dick Vitale Gala, Then His Ride-and-Walk June 8 … And He Will Ride His Bike Again
- Big East Conference Athletics
- Direct link to ESPN3 coverage, click here.
- ESPN College Basketball
- NBE Basketball Report | Connecticut
- Sox and Dawgs
- The Boneyard
- UConn Huskies Basketball blog
- UConn Huskies Sports on courant.com
- UConn Women's Basketball blog