MILWAUKEE – Here is text of Karl Hess’ remarks to a Marquette spokesman following the game, explaining the confusion at the start of overtime:
“Based on Rule Five, Section One, Article Three, when the official permits a team to go in the wrong direction, and then the error is discovered, all activity and time consumed shall count as though each team had gone in the proper direction. Play is then resumed with each team going in the proper direction.”
“The players went in the wrong direction. Because we allowed that to happen, the only thing that was wrong is there was a goal-tend on the play. We should have scored the goaltend and given Connecticut two points for that.
You have no team control after that, because you have a shot, so now you go to the alternating possession arrow. Because there is no team control at that point and then Marquette gets the ball and you head them in the right direction.”
In other words, it was a blunder. Kevin Ollie, being Kevin Ollie, was gracious and would not blame the loss on it. “It wasn’t the deciding factor in the game,” he said. “It just got the OT started in a bizarre way.”
It’s one play in a long basketball game in which the lead changed hands many times. But it was a four-point swing at a critical time, so it was undeniably a key factor.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
UConn Men Photos
Text AlertsComplimentary Huskies, breaking news, and/or weather alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
*Or text UCONNFB, UCONNMB, UCONNWBNEWS, WEATHER, NEWS to 37798
*These programs are available on the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, US Cellular. By clicking Submit you are confirming agreement with the terms and conditions governing this station and these mobile alerts. All submissions must be authorized by the account holder. Contact your carrier for more details.
- christian louboutin shoes will one day be able to -- ???? -- abraham0225 on Rodney Purvis Gets USA Basketball Invite To Try Out For U19 Team
- they made monster beats sure that there are three different sizes of the rubbers for the ear piece isabella423 on Rodney Purvis Gets USA Basketball Invite To Try Out For U19 Team
- Hector on Jim Calhoun Still Man In Motion: On to Dick Vitale Gala, Then His Ride-and-Walk June 8 … And He Will Ride His Bike Again
- Big East Conference Athletics
- Direct link to ESPN3 coverage, click here.
- ESPN College Basketball
- NBE Basketball Report | Connecticut
- Sox and Dawgs
- The Boneyard
- UConn Huskies Basketball blog
- UConn Huskies Sports on courant.com
- UConn Women's Basketball blog