It’s been a long day.
* We know how powerful ESPN is. They control information and product, like when the WNBA Draft Lottery will be held. Very impressive. But let’s see how powerful They Mighty Oz of cable is: Let’s see you make UConn-Tennessee happen next season. Enough already. Play in New York, Brooklyn, Boston, Orlando. Doesn’t matter. Enough of the crybaby act from both sides. Play it for charity. But play it already. I am calling ESPN out.
* We mentioned a little while back that UConn and IMG, who negotiates broadcast, advertising and marketing deals on the school’s behalf, was thinking that perhaps the focus would be to find a corporate title sponsor for the basketball practice facility – you know, something like the “Big Y” whatever. I am told that is NOT the priority and that both parties enjoy the relationship they have with their private donors and want to continue. Thought you might like to hear that.
* I think the time has come for the Connecticut Sun to forget about Sandrine Gruda. She wants to play at the Mohegan Sun as much as the Big East Conference did.Trade her, release her. Put her in your past. The relationship is over; barely consummated at that.
* I like Anne Donovan, I really do. She is a kind, honest, well-meaning person. And I would love nothing better than to see her succeed in Connecticut coaching the Sun.
* The Sun is trying to trade Kara Lawson and they should. And let’s face it, Tina Charles wouldn’t mind getting moved, either. I mean, the Sun needs to get that big girl smiling next year. I think she missed her old coach more than she let on.
* If Asjha Jones doesn’t play in the WNBA this season, and she might not, I’m not buying the injury-rehab excuse this time. That tells me she doesn’t want anything to do with the Connecticut Sun.
* WNBA scouts are saying Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley are in the 7 to 12 range, in terms of draft positioning this season. That sounds about right to me right now But Dolson and Hartley could be both top six soon.They are also saying Breanna Stewart would be a lottery pick if she came out this season. That sounds right to me, too.
* So UConn freshman Saniya Chong has four turnovers in her first 100 minutes? That is unreal. She should have made 10 from pure nervousness by now. Where does Geno find these players?.
* Speaking of which, I am beginning to believe that Kia Nurse is being thought of as the Sue Bird of the Canadian national team program, not bad for a 17-year-old. Where does Geno find these players?
* So let’s see, Nurse, Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, Gabby Williams, Moriah Jefferson, KML, Kiah Stokes, Brianna Banks, Morgan Tuck, Chong and Stewie next year. Maybe A’ja Wilson, too. Should be a great season in the American Athletic Conference next year.
* At this point, with Maryland, Stanford and Penn State dispatched, there are only four teams in the nation with a legit shot at beating UConn – Notre Dame, Tennessee, Duke and Lousiville. And we won’t know about the Irish and Lady Vols until March. Until then, Geno is Ali and rest of the nation is Chuck Wepner (look him up)