For the next few days, I will be retreating to holiday mode. While the Huskies take tests, I will be taking naps, when not tackling the Christmas shopping before Dec. 19 when Oakland comes to the XL Center and life gets oh so crazy again for three months.
Some musings and observations, post Penn State (Note to grinches: there will be WNBA talk)
- Coach Auriemma said Thursday the ability of his players, 5 through 9 on the depth chart, has been vastly over-rated by the pundits. He says they couldn’t beat a good intramural team. If so, what does that makes 50 percent of what’s left of the Big East Conference. I’ll take his five over those five any day, on any floor and in any conference.
- The game ball for Thursday’s win over Penn State goes to athletic trainer Rosemary Ragle for her healing powers in regard to Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. KML went from ouch to pounce in four days. Great job, Rosie.
- In case you’re wondering, Miss Maya, on her way to becoming the Big East’s Player of the Year in her freshman season, turned in two seven-point games – one in the Big East tournament against Pitt, one in the Elite Eight against Rutgers. She didn’t end up so bad, did she? Do not trade your Breanna Stewart rookie card just yet.
- Whatever it is that Brianna Banks is eating for lunch can someone call in an order for Moriah Jefferson, please? I’ll have a grilled chicken, broccoli rabe panini.
- What is going on with UConn’s free throw shooting, now at 72.5 percent? Bria Hartley is 10 of 18? I blame the 10-foot rims.
- What was the NCAA thinking by assigning officials Jesse Dickerson and Bryan Enterline to the UConn-Penn State after they worked Notre Dame-Baylor in South Bend? Was Dee Kantner still on the beach in St. Thomas?
- This is just a feeling I have, and I have no information to support this. But I’m thinking UConn’s TV deal with SNY isn’t going to sit well with the Big Ten, if that conference decides to engrave an invitation for the Huskies. You may have heard of the Big Ten Network? Do you think those university presidents are going to let UConn cut its own deal for women’s basketball unless it decides to share some of the money with, uh, Maryland and Rutgers, for instance?
- Nobody dresses better on game day than the UConn assistant coaches.
- What was Coach Auriemma thinking Thursdsay kicking the message board as the Nike ad was being displayed? He might as well have been wearing a Members Only vinyl windbreaker.
- I need as restaurant recommendation for Eugene, Oregon for the night of Dec. 30. Debbie Fiske is depending on me.
As for the Sun……..
- I am sure the management of the Connecticut Sun must understand by now it was a big mistake firing Mike Thibault, even though he hadn’t won a championship in 10 years. I equate it to hitting the send button on an angry e-mail whilst in a combative mood.
- I would ask them to spend the next few days thinking as clearly as humanly possible, hard with the clanging of casino bells and whistles in the background. They must hedge their bets here – note the gaming reference – and reconsider before Thibault takes the Washington Mystics job.
- People do reconsider. The Toronto Blue Jays just rehired John Gibbons; not a good example, I know. What about Billy Martin, Red Holzman and Phil Jackson? They came, they went, they returned.
- Tell Thibault you are sorry. Apologize. Pay him what he wants in the spirit of repentance, ask him to come back and make this good before it begins to go so terribly bad.
- Little birdies are chirping that the veterans are very angry about this decision. One or two may have even told their bosses that they are.
- This is Connecticut. God forbid it turns into Tulsa.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
UConn Women Photos
Text AlertsFREE Huskies, breaking news, and/or weather alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
*Or text UCONNFB, UCONNMB, UCONNWBNEWS, WEATHER, NEWS to 37798
*These programs are available on the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, US Cellular. By clicking Submit you are confirming agreement with the terms and conditions governing this station and these mobile alerts. All submissions must be authorized by the account holder. Contact your carrier for more details.