A few impressions before hitting the highway…
* The Huskies, leading the nation in field goal percentage coming into the game (57.9), won despite shooting just 23 of 60 (38.3 percent). They also made just five three-pointers.
*If you want to know what makes Kelly Faris the player she is consider she played 34 minutes and scored eight points (4 of 6), with seven rebounds, seven assists and eight steals. And she helped shut down Terps’ All-American Alyssa Thomas, who was 2 of 12 with eight turnovers in 36 minutes. And he had no turnovers.
* It was an extremely physical game and UConn lost the rebounding war, 39-35. But it forced 26 turnovers and outscored Maryland, 32-16, in the paint.
* Brianna Banks continued her exemplary play by making 3 of 4 three-pointers and scoring 11 points in 19 minutes.
* Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who missed the Colgate game after sustaining the third concussion of her young career against Purdue at the Paradise Jam, suffered a contused quad on a traveling call in the first half and did not play in the second half. She didn’t even sit on the bench. Geno Auriemma said it was unlikely she would play Thursday against Penn State at Gampel.
* The Penn State game will be UConn’s last until the winter break. It resumes play Dec. 19 at the XL Center against Oakland (Mich.)
* Former Connecticut Sun coach Mike Thibault, dismissed after 10 seasons on Nov. 18, was at the game scouting. He has talked to the Washington Mystics about their coach/GM job, but is undecided about what he wants to do.”I am in no hurry,” he said.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
UConn Women Photos
Text AlertsFREE Huskies, breaking news, and/or weather alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
*Or text UCONNFB, UCONNMB, UCONNWBNEWS, WEATHER, NEWS to 37798
*These programs are available on the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, US Cellular. By clicking Submit you are confirming agreement with the terms and conditions governing this station and these mobile alerts. All submissions must be authorized by the account holder. Contact your carrier for more details.