Greetings from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and the 2013 Paradise Jam for women’s basketball
Some idle thoughts as I try to get used to the fact we are ONE HOUR ahead of East Coast time…
* Arrived Tuesday afternoon and the place looks much the same as it did five years when I was here with the team in 2007. Supposedly, they spent millions to renovate the hotel. None of it was on air conditioning. The open air lobby is sauna steamy. Makes we yearn from the crisp autumn air.
* Five years ago, iguana over-populated the landscape at the resort. They camped out on every stone step in pairs, one on each side. And there are many stone steps to climb. I haven’t seen one yet, which is good because I am as terrified of them as I was of Tom Coughlin, when I covered the New York Giants. I could be a wiseguy and say they were obliterated by the Big Ten, by I won’t do that.
* The UConn women arrived Monday. The UConn men are still here but are leaving later today [Wednesday]. Last night at dinner time, the men were roaming around the hotel looking for something to eat and astonished that hardly anything on the menu worth eating was less than $35 at any of the restaurants. I left them still roaming. Wouldn’t be a problem for Andre Drummond or Jeremy Lamb these days, would it?
* Briefly saw former Huskie guard Melanie Thomas last night in the lobby. She is the director of operations for Florida Gulf Coast, which is here in the Reef Division, which means her team does not play UConn, which is in the Island Division. Got that?
* UConn athletic director Warde Manuel is here. When I saw him last night, a golf glove was flopping from a back pocket. I assume that means he was playing golf or couldn’t find a napkin. Warde was not wearing an ACC golf shirt.
* The UConn women went snorkeling on Tuesday. They are 1-0 in the Snorkel Division.
* Bria Hartley is expected to play for the first time on Thursday against Wake Forest. Her severely sprained ankle has been responding well enough to convince the medical staff to give her the go. When she starts someone will sit. Will that be Faris, KML or Stewart? We’ll see if Geno will tell me later.