This and that about women’s basketball and other things on a Saturday morning..
* I get a kick (sometimes) out of seeing how dedicated some fans are to their teams, as if they can never lose, never do anything wrong, never come out on the short side of something. Look folks, Texas high school guard Recee’ Caldwell narrowed her choices to UConn and UCLA and chose UCLA. Nobody put a water balloon to her head and threatened to pop it. UConn does lose recruiting wars . It is Mike Tyson in many ways, but not immune to body blows. They wanted both Caldwell and Erica McCall, just as much as they wanted Taya Reimer, Diamond DeShields, et all. They swung and missed. It happens. But let’s not always be so quick to sideswipe kids who decide UConn isn’t the place for them.
* If Kelly Faris continues to shoot three-pointers like Steve Nash, a WNBA team would be absolutely foolhardy not to take her in the first round of the 2013 Draft. No WNBA player, with the exception of Griner, who is 6-8, will come to the pros better prepared for all facets of the game.
* In case you weren’t aware of this, Monday “Jimmy V” game at XL Center between Maryland and UConn has great significance to Terps’ coach Brenda Frese. Her young son, Tyler, has leukemia and is fighting the disease like an All-America at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. As you watch Monday’s game, please think of him.
* Now that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is back to practice, we can begin to wonder who will be the last woman out of the starting lineup when she is ready to play – which could be Monday. Who do you put on the bench, Geno wannabees? KML, Bria Hartley, Kelly Faris, Breanna Stewart? Tough choice.
* I have spent far too much time thinking about this: Who in the world will the Connecticut Sun hire to replace Mike Thibault? I can’t for the life of me think it would be Jen Rizzotti. She would never leave her team in the middle of a season. And I don’t think the Sun can pay her enough to do it. She doesn’t need the job. So who then?
* If there aren’t 15,000 human beings in the XL Center for Monday’s game, I will be OK with anyone who concludes that the thrill of seeing a national championship contender in person is gone for good in the land of steady habits. At that point, fans lose the right to bitch about conference affiliation.
* If I watch football today, and I might not, it will be Alabama-Georgia, not UConn-Cincinnati. So I also recuse myself from complaining (but not commenting) about this ACC-Big Ten madness.
* I think Shea Ralph is going to be a fantastic coach someday and I don’t know when that day will be. But she can afford to wait for the right job because there are not a lot of them out there. In many ways, she is far better off where she is than taking a chance on a program that doesn’t have institutional support.
- -- ADVERTISEMENT --
UConn Women Photos
Text AlertsComplimentary Huskies, breaking news, and/or weather alerts sent to your mobile phone.*
*Or text UCONNFB, UCONNMB, UCONNWBNEWS, WEATHER, NEWS to 37798
*These programs are available on the following carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Nextel, Boost, Alltel, US Cellular. By clicking Submit you are confirming agreement with the terms and conditions governing this station and these mobile alerts. All submissions must be authorized by the account holder. Contact your carrier for more details.