We’ve talked at length about how dominating UConn has been in its last six meetings against Duke, winning them all by an average of 29.3 points.
But here is a tighter look at the last four games, more relevant in the sense that they’ve involved more of Duke [and UConn’s} current core.
* The Huskies have held Duke’s senior guard Chelsea Gray, an All-American candidate and likely soon-to-be WNBA Top 10 pick, to 11-for-37 from the field in 118 minutes. Gray has scored by 25 points in the four games. Gray is averaging 18.3 points this season.
* In her two games against UConn, junior center Elizabeth Williams, the top-rated post in her high school senior class, is 8-for-30 from the field with 10 rebounds in 64 minutes. She has five blocked shots.
* In last year’s game at Gampel Pavilion, Jan. 21, 2013, the Blue Devils trailed UConn, 32-30, at the half. The Huskies won by 30.
* Duke’s field goal percentage, 50.5 this season, in the last four games against UConn: Jan. 31, 2011 at Gampel (28.4); March 29, 2011 in the Elite Eight in Philadelphia (25.4); Jan. 30, 2012 at Cameron Indoor (24.6) and Jan. 21, 2013 at Gampel (35.7).
* Tricia Liston, certainly one of the top pure shooters in the nation (6 of 14 from three this season) is 3-for-14 from the field in 72 minutes with nine points in the last four UConn games. She missed all six three-point attempts.
* Duke, averaging 87.7 this season, has not scored more than 51 points in any of its last four games against UConn.